Tuesday, August 25, 2009

August Newsletter

The Climate
Well, we've been in Lima since last Tuesday night (August 11th). It's been cold! That takes a little getting used to when you’ve lived in South Texas for the past eleven years. It averages around 65 during the day and around 60 at night. To me it can be quite comfortable during the day, but it does get a little nippy at night. Of course, you ought to see the locals; they are layered up like their in Alaska. The good news that I’ve been told is that it does not get any colder.

Sunshine
The other thing that is very different here is that the sun rarely shines during the winter. There is something that happens when the warm air from the pacific clashes with the cooler air from the Andes Mountains that creates a cloudy blanket over the country. I’ve been told that the sun will again begin to shine in December which will be Spring.

Settling In
I’m starting to settle into my new responsibilities here at the Bible College. My roles are twofold. First, is that of Bible Teacher. This semester I will be teaching the book of Matthew and the books of First and Second Peter. I am really looking forward to teaching through those books verse by verse with the students. My second role is that of Campus Pastor. In that role, I oversee the college grounds and the students making sure that all is moving along without any interruptions. The best part of that role is being there for the students and serving as their pastor while they are away from home. I’m already establishing some pretty sweet relationships.

God is Good
God has been so good to my family. He has made Himself so strong in not only our fundraising efforts, but in also giving us total peace in our new calling. I just want to thank all of the churches and individuals who answered God's call to be a part of our ministry here in Lima. “Que chevere!” (Awesome!)

Funny Story
We figured out after our first couple of days that more than half of the cars that we saw on the road were taxis. There are probably more than that. Anyway, the way that you call them is to simply extend your arm. Well, we didn’t know that. So, we’re walking down the street just a pointing at all of the beautiful buildings and stores, etc… and I noticed that every time one of us pointed, the taxis would all scramble in our direction. Once we realized what was happening, it was hilarious. I’m not sure the taxi drivers felt the same way though!

No comments:

Post a Comment